-
March 25th, 2001, 04:39 AM
#1
Inactive Member
Well, tonight is the night. if any of you
folks live in the Ohio area, I am having my
film debut at:
The Open Space
612 N. Mantua St.
Kent, Ohio
7:30pm....
3 years in the making. 90 percent super8.
Edited on video & being projected on video.
Wish me luck!!!!
-
March 25th, 2001, 04:55 AM
#2
HB Forum Moderator
I kicked up a thread that was buried in the archives on page 5....(Ever seen your Movie Screened at a Film Festival) you may want to look it over and make sure you aren't a victim of what I went through at one of my movie screenings.
Congrats on your screening...hope all goes well. I hope you have great sound playback to match your "vision on screen".
-Alex
[This message has been edited by Alex (edited March 24, 2001).]
-
March 25th, 2001, 06:00 PM
#3
HB Forum Moderator
Do you want to share the technical steps you took...
As many as you care to indulge us in would be great.
Congrats!
-Alex
-
March 26th, 2001, 12:29 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Filmed 80 percent super8. The rest was spring-wound 16mm. I used a Sony Pro-Walkman for 95 percent of the audio. The rest was mini disk. I had no problem with sync from the walkman, but the mini disk was. My editor says because of non-drop frame. Tthe original footage was transfered to Beta-SP. We then digitized all footage that might be used. I shot Tri-X, Plus-X and Kodachrome super8. The 16mm was Ektachrome VNF 400. When I started this project in 1998, you could still buy Kodachrome sound, so about 20min of that was used also. Oh yes, we did transfer via Rank. We dubed all audio to VHS with time code and used that as a master. We did the editing over a period of about 6 months, weekends only. I had about 90-100 minutes of original footage and 6 hours of audio. 150 stills to edit also. We scaned all stills. When the editing was finished we transfered back to Beta-SP and also S-VHS. The film was projected via S-VHS onto a very large screen. The picture was very sharp and bright. I think the black & white
retained more film look than the color footage because of color shift. But S video looks so good anyway. I like this medium. Film to video master. The projectors are so good now and the price for film prints are way past my budget. The audio was HI-FI. You can't beat that much. Being that super8 cameras are so nosiy, the Avid did a great job reducing this problem. Absolutly better audio than what the original was. 95 percent of any camera noise was gone. Any way, if you have any other questions, please let me know.
-
March 26th, 2001, 04:15 AM
#5
Inactive Member
It was great! Everything went perfectly.
I feel all my effort was worth the respose
I got during and after the film. The after
party was very cool indeed. I met some folks
who are researhing some feature films...
Most people can't get past the idea that
super8 can compete in the real world.
The audio was perfect! The film's subject is
music, so, it had to be good.
-
March 26th, 2001, 04:18 AM
#6
Inactive Member
-
March 27th, 2001, 10:15 PM
#7
HB Forum Moderator
You want to share what your Movie was about...and if you had any professional performers...where you got them from....
and did you get releases from all your on camera people?
Thanks In Advance.
-Alex
-
March 28th, 2001, 02:11 PM
#8
Inactive Member
The film is a short documentary on three professional folk musicians who live here in Ohio. So in a way they were professional talent, but no script was ever used. Yes, all on camera people signed a release with $1.00 paid to them. I also got permission from business to shoot on their property. The film best can be described as impressionist verite. Since I did'nt have the funds to shoot a complete direct cinema picture, I used silent footage and stills (that I shot) plus sync footage shot over a 10 year period. Most of the film was shot in the last 3 years. I'm ready to move on to a new project. I hope I can move along a little faster this time around.
-
March 28th, 2001, 07:58 PM
#9
Inactive Member
congrats on the successful premiere!
How long was the final running time?
Do you mind revealing what your budget was?
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks